Saturday, January 15, 2011

Part four of our analysis of the Marc Adamus Manifesto, “One way to Photograph North America”.

Part four of our analysis of the Marc Adamus Manifesto, “One way to Photograph North America”.


Part four  of our analysis of the Marc Adamus Manifesto, “One way to Photograph North America”.
See Part One hereSee Part Two here. See Part Three here.

INTRO:  At Marc Adamus LIES 2.0, we have to say that Marc Adamus has really outdone himself with his latest expose. We’re certain that a better example of empty boasts, flowery rhetoric, and outright bullshit won’t be found for some time (maybe ever). Since Marc Adamus just can’t help himself, the manifesto also contains a great number of lies, unsubstantiated boasts, and some useful information that casts a new light on who Marc really is. Part four of this multi-part series:

8. I awoke before dawn to clearing skies and striking views! There was new snow on the Glacier peaks in the distant and beautiful fall colors in the valleys below me. Within seconds of waking, I'm simultaneously brewing coffee on the back step of my rig and scouting around with camera, long lens and tripod in hand. I managed to come away with some pretty strong photos of the peaks catching the first light while sipping the brew. Naturally, instead of going back down the jeep trail the same way I came in, I decided it's best to see if I can't make a loop out of it by cutting down through the colorful Aspen on the other side of the plateau. This was the first fall color I'd seen this year, so the trip was particularly enjoyable until the trail started disintegrating when I neared what I thought would be the main road. It turned out that someone closed this entry/exit point to the plateau area many years ago by stringing a barbed-wire fence across, a mere 30 feet from the main drag. I spent the next three hours driving back over and around the way I came in and I take a few more Aspen shots and wanders on foot through the groves for my extra time.


 “….Within seconds of waking, I’m simultaneously brewing coffee on the back step of my rig and scouting around with camera, long lens, and tripod in hand”: Within seconds of waking? Who does Marc think he’s talking to, a two year old? What a load of hogwash!

“….I managed to come away with some pretty strong photos of the peaks catching the first light while sipping the brew”:  No doubt this only took a few seconds too. Anyway, all of Marc’s photos are “pretty strong”, to say the least, in his own opinion.

“…..Naturally, instead of going back down the jeep trail the same way I came in, I decided it’s best to see if I can’t make a loop out of it by cutting down through the colorful Aspen on the other side of plateau”:  Wow! What an adventurer! He decided to make a loop out of it instead of going back the way he came! 

“….It turned out that someone closed this entry/exit point to the plateau area many years ago by stringing a barbed-wire fence across, a mere 30 feet from the main drag”: Of course they did. It’s only the Indians’ own land, after all. We’re surprised that Marc didn’t simply cut the barbed wire and go through anyway. Don’t they know who He is?

9. I spent the next several days traveling around Glacier National Park and the surrounding areas in preparation of conducting my photo tour of the area. I use the word 'tour' and not 'workshop', because although I want my participants to ask questions and learn a great deal, I don't want to give the impression that our time will be spent in some kind of structured, sit-down, lecture-style, critique session in a classroom somewhere. I cannot bring myself to take that type of approach, even in the field. What matters most to me is the pursuit of the best photographic opportunities I can possibly show people and the means with which we go after them. When my group gathered near St. Mary Lake to begin, I promptly told everyone to throw away the itinerary I sent them. They were all camping, so lodging arrangements were a non-issue. I explained that you never know where the pursuit of nature and photography will lead. It is, above all else, a reaction to the immediate and ever-changing. If you cannot learn to keep a flexible travel schedule as a nature photographer, you will forever be at an extreme disadvantage.


 “…in preparation of conducting my photo tour of the area”: Yes, the real way Marc makes his money, by conducting his photo tours/workshops/pyramid schemes. 

“…I use the word “tour” and not “workshop” because although I want my participants to ask questions and learn a great deal…”:  Purely semantics. Marc actually did use the term “workshop” to describe his fraudulent tours, but he stopped that because Marc Adamus LIES 1.0 outed him. Of course, Marc wants his “participants” to ask questions, mostly about how great he is. Not questions like “can we see the original RAW files?”. He doesn’t care whether they learn or not (they will not learn anything because you cannot teach or learn artistic ability). All he cares about is the money they pay, which enables him to maintain the illusion.

“…I don’t want to give the impression that our time will be spent in some kind of structured, sit-down, lecture-style, critique session in a classroom somewhere.”: Utter bullshit. The actual skills that a workshop could teach, such as printing and technical lighting, require at least some time in a classroom. These so-called photo tours don’t teach anything and couldn’t possibly teach any skills. 

“…I cannot bring myself to take that type of approach, even in the field”: Of course not. Not only does running a proper school require money and expertise, but Marc would be found out as a fraud right away when he couldn’t even explain how to use flash for creative photography, or gels, or any of the other things real creative artists use to get the image in the field.

“…What matters most to me is the pursuit of the best photographic opportunities I can possibly show people and the means with which we go after them.”: What matters to Marc Adamus is that he becomes Famous, no matter the cost. He’s essentially said this. Marc never shows people how he really gets his pictures, which is thru extensive Photoshop manipulation.

“…When my group gathered near St. Mary Lake to begin, I promptly told everyone to throw away the itinerary I sent them…”:  Smells like more bullshit. If Marc doesn’t operate by an itinerary, why did he send them one in the first place?

“…They were all camping, so lodging arrangements were a non-issue…”: Yes, of course. All of the losers, all of them, no doubt hardy outdoorsmen, there to suck Marc’s small penis, we mean learn about Wilderness and Photography from the Best of the Best.

“…I explained that you never know where the pursuit of nature and photography will lead…”: Yep. Could lead to fame if you lie enough. Marc knows all about that.

“…It is, above all else, a reaction to the immediate and ever-changing. If you cannot learn to keep a flexible travel schedule as a nature photographer, you will forever be at an extreme disadvantage…”: Actually, nature photography is about patience, above all. All real photographers know this. But Marc isn’t a real photographer. He wants his loser fans to believe that he can take 7 exposures in under 30 seconds, wake up, brew coffee, and walk around with his camera in the span of 5 seconds, and react instinctively to the opening alpenglow or the clearing of a storm. All total bullshit. All of it.
See part 5 of this soon to be extensive series soon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey thanks you guys. I plan on taking one of Marc's workshops this year and wouldn't have been so inspired to do so if not for this site and Marc's own article. So much of great artwork throughout history has been controversial and I feel that no matter what, you're only adding to Marc's legacy as one of the modern-day greats by disparaging his accomplishments in such manner. You can disparage them all you want, but you can't deny what he's actually done. Marc is one of the best there is, period. You probably can't find a single photographer out there who would dispute that and put their name by that statement, but without you, who would let Marc receive his place amidst so many great and controversial artists out there? Change hits some people the wrong way, and it clearly has with you, but without that, art is nothing, it's stale, it's yesterday and you're part of both the new age and the dying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were probably abused as a child. You never had any love. You never grew up. You never had anyone show you the beauty of life. I'm sorry for you.

    ReplyDelete